Conti Cup round-up: Leicester earn big bonus point, Villa hit Blackburn for seven

Hannah Cain, Lena Petermann and Aileen Whelan of Leicester City celebrate after a Conti Cup match
Hannah Cain, Lena Petermann and Aileen Whelan of Leicester City celebrate following their Conti Cup match vs Manchester City (Photo by Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

The latest round of Conti Cup action delivered plenty of goals, high score-lines, and two penalty shootouts for good measure. In a surprise result, Leicester were able to snatch a bonus point from Manchester City.

Meanwhile, Aston Villa hit Blackburn Rovers for seven, and Southampton put up a good fight against title holders Arsenal. Here’s a recap of the results from the latest round of Conti Cup fixtures.

Brighton 3-1 West Ham

Guro Bergsvand got the goal-scoring action underway in Brighton’s 3-1 win over fellow Women’s Super League side West Ham. Two second half penalties for the Seagulls gave them a comfortable three-goal lead with almost half an hour still to play. Vicky Losada and Veatriki Sarri both slotted home their spot-kicks within nine minutes of each other.

Hawa Cissoko’s 89th minute effort for the visitors would prove nothing more than a consolation as Brighton took all three points.

Aston Villa 7-0 Blackburn Rovers

In a convincing seven-goal win, Aston Villa took all three points off Championship side Blackburn. Braces from Alisha Lehmann and Rachel Daly, alongside goals from Ebony Salmon, Maz Pacheco and Simone Magill saw Villa go second in Group A with a game in-hand.

Manchester City (3) 2-2 (4) Leicester City

A closely fought tie meant penalties were required to separate the two sides. Catch up with the Conti Cup action between Man City and Leicester right here.

Embed from Getty Images

Liverpool 0-1 Manchester United

A single goal from Nikita Parris was the only thing to separate the two sides. The 29-year-old found the back of the net shortly before half-time to send her side in ahead at the break. Despite having several good chances throughout the second half, Liverpool could not find an equaliser to give them their first win in this year’s competition.

Charlton 1-0 Birmingham City

A first-half goal from Tegan McGowan handed Charlton all three points from their clash with BirminghamCity. The two Championship sides played out a closely fought match at the Oakwood Stadium as the hosts took all three points, finishing match day two sitting second in Group E.

Birmingham are yet to claim a single point so far in this season’s League Cup campaign.

Crystal Palace 3-0 Watford

A convincing three-goal win handed Crystal Palace all three points when they welcomed Watford to Borough Sports Ground.

Second half goals from Kirsten Reilly, Araya Dennis and Elise Hughes saw Palace finish the round sitting top of Group C. Watford have taken two points from a possible six from their opening pair of fixtures.

Tottenham 3-0 Bristol City

A penalty from Kit Graham alongside a brace from Rosella Ayane saw Tottenham cruise to a comfortable three goal win over Bristol City. The win sees Spurs go top of Group D, having claimed all six available points.

The Robins have taken just a single point from their opening three games in the competition having drawn against Southampton.

Embed from Getty Images

Lewes 0-1 London City Lionesses

An own goal from Eve Clarkson would gift London City Lionesses all three points from their meeting with Lewes. The game had been relatively level throughout, with the game appearing to be heading to penalties before the goal with just five minutes left to play.

The win moves London City second in Group C separated from top spot only by goal difference.

Southampton 1-2 Arsenal

A dramatic second half saw Arsenal narrowly take all three points from Southampton. Catch a full round-up of the action here.

Durham (8) 1-1 (7) Sheffield United

A thrilling penalty shootout resulted in Durham gaining the bonus point on offer from fellow Championship side Sheffield United. A total of 15 penalties scored was a thrilling conclusion to a closely fought game after Sheffield restored the deadlock with less than ten minutes left to play.

Durham finish the round top of Group A whilst the visitors occupy fourth position.

MORE from Her Football Hub: