The Football Kenya Federation Women’s Premier League will return to action this weekend. It is the first time that teams will play competitive matches since league play halted at the end of March.
Ten rounds of fixtures in the 2020/21 season were played before a new wave of COVID-19 infections prompted Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta to place the country in stricter lockdown.
Now, almost two months later, the Premier League will return for its 11th round. This comes after much patience and planning from players and organizers alike, including the vaccinating of all clubs in April to ensure a safe return.
Picking up where things left off, some teams will hope to turn things around. Kayole Starlet will look to avenge a 1-4 loss at the hands of Ulinzi Starlets before the country went into lockdown.
Meanwhile, Kibera Soccer fell to Mathare United 1-2 in the ninth round. It was the first win of the season for Mathare United, who currently sit last in Zone A on four points.
Zone A league leaders Thika Queens edged Gaspo Women 1-2 in the ninth round before defeating Zetech Sparks in a 11-goal week ten thriller. In Zone B, Vihiga Queens will hope to continue their reign at the top following 0-4 victory over Oserian Ladies.
Round 11 fixtures
Saturday – 22 May 2021
- Mathare United Women FC vs Ulinzi Starlets FC (11:00 EAT)
- Makolanders FC vs Thika Queens FC (12:00 EAT)
- Trans Nzoia Falcons FC vs SEP Ladies FC (12:00 EAT)
- Nakuru Queens FC vs Kisumu Allstralets FC (12:00 EAT)
- Zetech Sparks FC vs Kayole Starlet FC (13:00 EAT)
Sunday – 23 May 2021
- Wadadia FC vs Oserian Ladies FC (11:00 EAT)
- Eldoret Falcons FC vs Vihiga Queens FC (12:00 EAT)
- Kibera Soccer Ladies FC vs Gaspo Women FC (11:00 EAT)