Durham 0-2 Liverpool: Matt Beard’s side go top of the Championship after dominant display

Liverpool started off their first season back in the WSL with a well-earned victory over defending champions Chelsea.

Durham fell to their first defeat at home this season as Liverpool leapfrogged them to go top of the FA Women’s Championship.

The visitors were dominant from the very first whistle and really should’ve made more of the chances that they created, but they did become only the second team to breach Durham’s defence at Maiden Castle in the Championship.

Liverpool opened the scoring after 74 minutes through Leanne Kiernan, following an error by Megan Borthwick

The visitors doubled their lead just five minutes later through Taylor Hinds.

Liverpool will have been thinking how they didn’t take the lead when Taylor Hinds struck the woodwork twice at the back post before Lauren Briggs cleared Fahey’s flick-on off the line.

There were very few chances for either side as they looked to cancel each other out with the hosts looking for quick counter-attacks and set pieces, while Liverpool looked to switch the ball quickly.

Liverpool utterly dominant

Durham were living dangerously at the end of the first half as Rachel Furness’ effort following a corner was cleared off the line before the visitors saw three efforts blocked from less than 10-yards out.

In added time Fahey popped up again at the near post from a corner but her tame header was held well by Borthwick.

Durham came out the blocks flying in the second half with Beth Hepple seeing her half volley blocked inside the box before Abby Holmes connected with the rebound, but it was straight at Laws.

Durham struggle in the final third

The home side almost took the lead when Emily Robson broke down the left and almost managed to pick out Galloway who was denied a shooting opportunity thanks to a great sliding tackle by Fahey at the near post.

A huge chance for Liverpool to take the lead as Matthews leapt highest to meet Hinds’ free-kick but her header bounced narrowly wide of the far post.

It was an end to end second half with the home side almost breaking the deadlock when Robson’s low cross was spilt by Laws but Galloway couldn’t quite prod it goalwards.

Again, Liverpool caused havoc from a set-piece but this time it was Furness who saw her headed effort take a deflection and drop just wide of the far post.

Liverpool go top of the Championship

Despite Durham’s increased pressure in the second half, it was Liverpool who broke the deadlock as Borthwick palmed a Robson cross straight onto Kiernan who had to do nothing before the ball hit the back if the net.

In a matter of minutes, Liverpool had flipped the game on its head as Hinds was picked out by yet another Robson cross and the full-back made no mistake at the back post.

It was Liverpool who picked up a massive three points away to top of the table Durham, who they have now switched places in the table.

Durham never got going in the first half and despite shading the second half, there was no denying that Liverpool had more than enough clear cut chances to seal the game earlier than they did.

Liverpool dominated the ball for the majority of the game and took advantage of Durham not being on top form to see them rightfully claim top spot in the FA Women’s Championship.

More from Her Football Hub: