Early Sparta Prague goal ends Glasgow City’s Champions League hopes

Sparta Prague celebrate Lucie Martinkova's seventh minute strike.
Sparta Prague celebrate Lucie Martinkova's seventh minute strike. (Photo from Sparta Prague Twitter)

Sparta Prague progressed to the quarter-finals of the Champions League with a narrow 1-0 (Agg: 3-1) win over Glasgow City at Broadwood.

It was a frustrating night in Glasgow, as City were unable to overturn their 2-1 first-leg deficit. Ultimately, Lucie Martinkova’s seventh-minute strike proved to be enough for the Czech side.

Glasgow City made three changes from Sunday’s 5-0 defeat to Rangers. Leanne Ross, Lauren Wade and Megan Foley were all welcomed back into the fold.

It was Sparta who flew out of the traps, however, with Pavlína Nepokojová squandering a glorious opportunity on five minutes.

Though, they didn’t have to wait much longer to open to scoring. A slack pass from Nicola Robertson allowed Martinkova to finish expertly past Lee Alexander.

Glasgow City almost equalised shortly afterwards. But, Jenna Clark saw her header tipped around the post from Hana Soupova.

On-loan Manchester City midfielder Tyler Toland would have the ball in the net on the half-hour mark. However, she saw her outstanding 30-yard drive ruled out for a foul in the build-up.

The second period saw City continue to push for the equaliser. They were almost caught out in doing so when Martinkova rounded Alexander following a quick Sparta break, but Clark was able to clear off the line.

With four minutes left on the clock, Nepokojová was sent-off for a second yellow card. Meanwhile, the Glasgow side continued to see half-chances come and go.

There was to be further frustration for the Scottish champions too when captain Ross saw a 90th-minute penalty expertly saved by the outstanding Soupova.

The result means Glasgow City have failed to reach to last 16 for the first time since 2017. Now, Sparta will continue to push on through.

MORE from Her Football Hub: